Share Buttons

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Trickle of Lies is Trickling along . . .

Two days ago I was ready to kill off Kyra and Boston.

Wait, don’t panic. I’m a writer; I get to kill folks off.

However, eliminating my hero and heroine before page 100 was a bad IDEA for a romance novel. So, I preserved. Not because I wanted to . . . at times, I hate these characters. But I have a lot invested in them at this point. Fully-fleshed backstories, complicated family structures, unique character quirks and my hero and heroine actually do work quite well in this specific plot. Wow, it’s almost like I planned that *GRIN*.

So, if my main characters were well-developed, complete with appropriate Goal, Motivation and Conflict, and the plot was intricate and motivated, then what was I missing?

My writing seemed to be flapping like a hooked bass on the bottom of my daddy’s fishing boat. That caught fish may be going some where, but just not any place productive—like back in the water. That’s when I realized if my writing wasn’t going to gasp its last breath, I needed a new strategy.

I decided not to sit in the boat, but to dive right into the lake and swim around. I changed my prospective. In writing terms, I went back to the start of the book and READ. Not with an editor perched on my shoulder or my little red pen ready to mark, but to simply enjoy the overall view of the book, or the lake if you will. The major discovery of my swim was duplicate information: the dreaded ‘Already-said-that’ curse.

How had I managed to have so many characters say the same thing?

Simple: I’d baited too many hooks and dropped them in the water. I couldn’t keep up with what secondary character had said what, and more importantly, how each secondary character had progressed the plot.

I needed something to reel in my secondary characters and guarantee that I caught the right character for the right job. And it needed to be something simple. Hence, I birthed the Character Chart. Not very original for a title, but it gets the job done.

What’s involved?

I list my:
1) Character’s Name
2) Crucial character description
3) Chapter number where secondary character is on page
AND MOST IMPORTANT:
4) What knowledge does this secondary character reveal to the main character (yep, my hero or heroine needs to learn something from this secondary character in order for this person to be breathing on page.)

Great writing is about great tightening. My goal is get through Trickle of Lies with as strong of a finished manuscript as possible.

Is there a specific writing technique, in dealing with secondary characters, that’s worked for you?

3 comments:

Sherry A Davis said...

Too many hooks? I'm so there with you. And I fix it the same way--I go back to the beginning, or a good ways back, and read. It usually streamlines what the main conflict is and I'm able to move forward.

You're doing great! You'll have this book finished before the end of Summer. :)

L.A. Mitchell said...

Secondary characters? I make sure I have a chart handy of their goals, motivations, and yes, even physical description--it's so easy to put a thick mane of hair on character who scratched his bald head in chapter two when the characters aren't at the forefront of our mind. When I have a completed draft, I also pluck their scenes out and make sure they flow and all the "off stage" time has been accounted for.

I can't wait to read it. I have a thing for Boston :-)

Elle Fredrix said...

You've been tagged!

...charges out again before something hits me in the head...

Famous Texan -- The Simple (and Complicated) Life of a Texas Titan: Ross Perot

A Texas Titan and legend has left the great state of Texas for the last time. H. Ross Perot, age 89, passed away Tuesday, July 9th, 2019. ...