Share Buttons

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Reading on . . .

The last two weeks I've been hooked on Jim Butcher's series, The Dresden Files. I've read:

SUMMER KNIGHTS, a book about the mythical Queen of Summer Faeries and the Queen of Winter Faeries -- sorta like the folks who live in the clouds and control weather,



and


DEATH MASKS, which pits wizard, Harry Dresden, up against the Denarians -- demons who have been seduced by one of the 30 pieces of silver that Judas was paid to betray Jesus. These terribly powerful creatures who have become evil incarnate, started out as normal mortals who were seduced by the lust for power and are now imprisoned inside the Denarians, trapped in their own personal Hell. Yep, there are Catholic Priests, the Knights of Christ, and the Shroud of Christ all rolled into this book. It deals with the 'what-if' theory behind the Shroud and the pieces of silver.

As usual, both SUMMER KNIGHTS and DEATH MASKS are incredibly fast, can't-put-it-down reads, with loads of unexpected twists and turns. Butcher puts more action in one chapter than James Bond movies manage in two hours.

Also, if you're looking to see how to 'hook' a chapter, you need to read this series. Using a dark sense of humor, a realistic approach, and never quite wrapping things up, Butcher consistently leaves his character in a tough situation. As always, readers are willing to turn the next page in order to find out if Harry Dresden manages to draw his next breath.

So, what are you reading?

Do share.

Drop by my back porch anytime.
~Sandra

4 comments:

Katie Reus said...

I just finished Pursuit by Elizabeth Jennings and I wasn't disappointed. She has a talent for interweaving suspense and romance in perfect doses :)

Marilyn Brant said...

I'm reading Karen Joy Fowler's WIT'S END--I'm only on pg.12 but so far, so good :).

L.A. Mitchell said...

Okay, Sandra. I'm between books. Which Jim Butcher book should I start with?

Anonymous said...

Sandra, I found your blog through Marilyn Brant's and saw this post. Any reader of the Dresden Files is a friend of mine! I got hooked at book #3 and have been on the ride ever since. I just found out they're doing a Dresden comic book series and the comic nerd in me yelled, "Squee!"

I'm currently reading Untouched by Anna Campbell because I loved Claiming the Courtesan so much. I can see why she's up for 2 Ritas this year!

Thanks for letting me play on your blog!

Famous Texan -- The Simple (and Complicated) Life of a Texas Titan: Ross Perot

A Texas Titan and legend has left the great state of Texas for the last time. H. Ross Perot, age 89, passed away Tuesday, July 9th, 2019. ...