Share Buttons

Friday, January 26, 2007

Ain't It The Truth

A few nights ago, my intellectual college freshman related this quote from her ‘Something-Something-Study-of-Gender-and-Something class.’ I normally just say, ‘um, how interesting’ a lot, because she manages to hit cruising altitude over my feeble head in a hurry. Of course, college is all about flying in the clouds, zooming above the mundane, and expanding heavenward, so I get that she and her fellow classmates should recognize these historical and possibly obscure people and what they accomplished in their lifetimes. HOWEVER, it’s been a day or two since I finished my college degree, and I’m a little behind on the ‘in-the-know’ scene. The following quote is from Sojourner Truth, an abolitionist, who survived incalculable hardships and delivered the message of freedom to men and women of all skin colors.

This quote is a keeper. If you’re female and breathing, you’ll appreciate the following:

“That little man in black over there, he says women can't have as much rights as men, 'cause Christ wasn't a woman! Where did your Christ come from? From God and a woman! Man had nothing to do with Him.”
--Sojourner Truth, Ain't I A Woman, a speech delivered in 1851

1 comment:

L.A. Mitchell said...

I love that quote. This course fits well into her feminista personality.

Famous Texan -- The Simple (and Complicated) Life of a Texas Titan: Ross Perot

A Texas Titan and legend has left the great state of Texas for the last time. H. Ross Perot, age 89, passed away Tuesday, July 9th, 2019. ...